the brady bunch

THE BRADY BUNCH

THE BRADY BUNCH

"AND HE DETERMINED THE TIMES SET FOR THEM AND THE EXACT PLACES WHERE THEY SHOULD LIVE. GOD DID THIS SO THAT MEN WOULD SEEK HIM AND PERHAPS REACH OUT FOR HIM, THOUGH HE IS NOT FAR FROM EACH ONE OF US." ACTS 17:26&27

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Ode To Joy!

Every now and again I am prone to bouts of "Joylessness." However, most people would never know it because... I am a true southerner flashing a big 'ol smile and throwing out a "how are y'all," "Oh I'm great." God in His infinite wisdom knows this about me. He knows the condition of my heart. He knew along time ago I would need a song, a tune to remind me to be joyful! To be rather than to seem. In 1824 when Beethoven composed "Ode to Joy" he didn't know it would become our family's anthem. Reminding us that no matter where we are or what we are going through that GOD loves us and that makes everything okay. When Brady and I were walking out of the chapel after saying our vows we exited to "Ode to Joy." Riley and Hallie played it for their first piano recitals, four years apart and with different teachers. Thankfully, Hallie continues to play it daily. I've been needing a daily, sometimes hourly, reminder to be joyful. And most recently I smiled, as I heard it as the credits rolled on one of the Wall-E cartoons. In "The Great Songs of the Church" Hymn book it is good ol' number 55. And I am thankful for the sweet words penned by Henry Van Dyke in 1907.


Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee

Joyful Joyful we adore the, God of Glory, Lord of Love;
Hearts unfold like flowers before thee opening to the sun above.
Melt the clouds of sin and sadness; Drive the dark of doubt away;
Giver of immortal gladness, fill us with the light of day!

The other verses are just as beautiful and serve as a prayer for when I am feeling JOYLESS.

HAVE A JOYFUL THANKSGIVING!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my friend...

"I am a true southerner flashing a big 'ol smile and throwing out a "how are y'all," "Oh I'm great."

I SO relate! Thank you for that sweet encouragement...I will sing the words to that song with a new perspective this year!

Andrea said...

Hi Vicki! I love everything about this post. Thank you for being so open and vulnerable. We all struggle with "joylessness" at times, but not many people are transparent with it. Your honesty is so refreshing!

I also have a few meaningful songs in my life. God actually often ministers to me through music, so I can relate a bit to this. I, too, love that song but never really think of the meaning of it. Definitely for now on when I hear it, it will be a great reminder to check my joyfulness!

Hope you guys are doing well!
Andrea