the brady bunch

THE BRADY BUNCH

THE BRADY BUNCH

"AND HE DETERMINED THE TIMES SET FOR THEM AND THE EXACT PLACES WHERE THEY SHOULD LIVE. GOD DID THIS SO THAT MEN WOULD SEEK HIM AND PERHAPS REACH OUT FOR HIM, THOUGH HE IS NOT FAR FROM EACH ONE OF US." ACTS 17:26&27

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Quiet Time

So, I had another question about how I spend my hour with My God and My Lord?

I hate to admit it but I am most consistent with my "quiet-time" when I am in a Bible Study with others. Tara, you already know this about me. I do my daily homework and then I pray through what I just learned.

If I am not in a bible study... I have read daily a chapter out of Power of a Praying Wife and Power of a Praying Parent, My Utmost for His Highest, and right now I am re-reading Purpose Driven Life. All of which are thick with scripture. I've also been known to read a chapter out of Proverbs and Psalms. Or I'll study the scriptures given to us in church on Sundays. Just Give me Jesus by Anne Graham Lotz is a study of the Book of John, soooo good! But don't get away from the scriptures, I got into the habit of just reading and lost the scripture study and it is not the same. Also, taking some time to memorize scripture is always a huge blessing.

After I study, then I pray. I have to write in a prayer journal because I tend to fall asleep if I don't. I have also been known to pray scriptures out loud over my family, I haven't done that in awhile probably need to start again. I have a notebook filled with some of my favorite promises from HIM for me and my family! Then I always hear prayer request throughout the week to pray specifically for others.

If the boys still haven't woken up, then I turn on some praise music and start cleaning in a prayerful, worshipful mind-set!

Your Quiet time with Him is personal and won't be the same as mine. I thought I might share what mine has been like over the years. It grows and develops and changes just as your walk with Him. This may sound a little corny but... when I first started spending time with Him I got a mental picture of a flower. Reading His word and Praying to Him is like sunshine and rain to a flower. We need it daily. It can't grow and be pretty or healthy without both of these important elements. The longer I go without one or the other the worse I get. Isn't that right, honey?

6 comments:

Brady J Banta, MD said...

You are a stargazer lilly.

Scott and Courtney Burlison said...

Sweet Vicki! Reading scripture is like getting a nap for me. It calms my spirit at the most crucial times. I needed to read your words at this very moment as I've just spent 3 hours in the kitchen cooking, repairing wallpaper, etc...

Those poems by Riley brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful big sister she is! I get so much joy out of watching my three girls love for one another. What a blessing these kiddos are...

stacy seago said...

Reading your blog makes me miss you!!
You truly are a gift from the Lord....and wow how he must smile down looking at you! So proud of HIS daughter!

Unknown said...

You are such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing the practical stuff! It really helps on those days when I don't know where to start...you have such creative ideas.

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

Just like your friend above, reading your blog makes me miss you, too!!

Thanks for sharing something we undoubtedly ALL need hear!

WSL!

Jillian said...

You are so inspiring!

I love to hear the ways people spend their time with the Lord. Helps me grow....

Keep my Power of a Praying book in the car for the carpool line...